This week I focused on future tense. In Korean, there are two types of future tense, probable and intentional. Neither are directly similar to English forms of the future tense, but they are easy enough to get a grasp on.
Probable future tense, as its name implies, tells what is likely to happen. The example given in the website reads, "I will probably eat" and "I will probably go to school tomorrow." It then gives the same phrase in Korean. 난 먹을 거에요. When I got to this point, I was stumped. For the other tenses, I already had a bit of knowledge on the area, but this time, I was in a completely new territory, so I decided to consult my mentor. He told me that this was the formal way of talking in the future tense and that the form that I am probably used to hearing is the informal way of speaking.
The second future tense form is the intentional future tense. In the intentional future tense, you add 겠(gess) to the end of the base verb. Then add 어 or 어요 to the word. This form is more certain than the probable future tense. There are less implications and more intents.
The rest of my time this week was practicing this form and the forms I learned in previous weeks.
Again, the website I am using to help me with verb tenses is http://www.learnkoreanlanguage.com/Verb-Tenses.html.
It's cool how you want to get in touch with your culture by learning the language that the members in your household speak. I can completely relate to having trouble communicating with family members because you're not good with the grammar and specifics of the language. I found it interesting how Korean has two future tenses and how one can be "improper." I have found that to be similar in other languages too. I can't wait to hear your final presentation!
ReplyDelete