Sunday, November 2, 2014

Seeing Other's Progress

This week, my class was asked to take a look at our peer's 20% times. I looked at a couple and it was interesting to see how we all compared to each other progress-wise. Everyone seems to be really into their project and it's interesting to see how many unique projects there are. Looking through everybody's projects got me thinking on how I can improve my project, but I decided that I would rather not change my game plan this late into the assignment. I will just keep doing what I was doing and hope for the best. This is my project so I won't let somebody else make my decisions for me.

As for my project, I decided to make this a light week and stick with practicing the basics and improving my vocabulary a bit. I will follow up next week with(hopefully) a new topic. Personally, I was getting tired of learning verb tenses every week, so I'll try to switch it up for a while.

5 comments:

  1. Have you tried out Duolingo? I'm not sure if Duolingo is available for Korean, but it does support a pretty large variety of languages. Maybe it could help you out a lot. It's free and there's an app for it on Android. There probably is one for iOS too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joe, I think it's really cool that you're learning Korean; I love learning languages so I think it's awesome. I think you should try watching or listening to more Korean things. In German class, we watch the news or listen to German music a lot, and I find it both fun and helpful, so maybe doing something similar in Korean could be a fun and interesting way to learn the language. Anyways, it seems like you're making good progress, especially on the grammar aspect of the language, which I feel like is one of the hardest parts of learning languages. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JOE. 안녕하세요
    What if I wrote this entire post in Korean? Would you be able to read it? (I totally would but I can't speak Korean so lool)
    I'm glad that you've decided to reconnect with your roots as a Korean. That's always something that I've wanted to do as well with Chinese. I'm always scared that my children won't have the same exposure to Chinese culture and language that I had because I am so well assimilated into American culture.
    It's awesome that you're focusing so much on grammar. Just imagining studying that kind of thing makes me feel sleepy xD If I were you I'd probably take the easy way out and just watch K-dramas and listen to K-pop eheh. But seriously you seem to be doing pretty well with your project and I'm excited for you b/c even though I'm Chinese I have this inexplicable love for all things Korean. I wish I could learn with you. You should totally keep adding little bits of the things you learn on your blog so I can follow along with what you're learning hehe:3
    Best of Luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Korean is difficult to learn because of the differences in the alphabets. It's definitely easier to learn Spanish or French because they have the same alphabet as English. I've had Korean exchange students stay in my house before and their language is so different. I'm impressed by your progress. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Verb tenses are literal hell in Spanish, so I shudder to imagine how bad they are in Korean. However, I feel like focusing on drills and rote memorization runs counter to the point of your project. You started this project to reconnect culturally, so it seems excessive to spend so long on the minutia of details. Perhaps you may want to try reading translations of famous Korean texts in tandem with the original version so you can see where the words and rules you know fit in. Either way, I agree with your decision to change things up a little. Grammar is a deep field, and it is foolish to dive so far in with so little time.

    ReplyDelete